Biscuit Boys
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Biscuit Boys

Evolving the Madejski Stadium atmosphere

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

GU1 Report

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dan

GU1 Report Empty
PostSubject: GU1 Report   GU1 Report EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 1:54 am

Finally I have finalised my version of Good Friday's events. I have tried to be as open and honest as possible. If anybody feels I have missed any important details please leave a comment and I will amend the report. I will leave this thread open for 24 hours and then send the report with any ammendments to the club and STAR tomorrow.

GU1 Report

The Biscuit Boys' plans were finally realised on the evening of Good Friday with mixed results. The experiment was a success in as such that we got a group of strangers together with one common interest, to support the team for ninety minutes. However the way in which our group was rather unfairly treated by the safety stewards was a real dampener on the evenings events. With hindsight it is also apparent that we upset a number of supporters who enjoy the more relaxed atmosphere of the upper west stand.

I took to my seat in GU1 as the teams entered the field of play for kick-off. I was delighted to see and hear a decent number of Biscuit Boys in attendance clearly intent on making this an evening to remember. As the match started our support was vocal and the more regular west standers seemed to be enjoying the atmosphere we were creating. Within five minutes of us standing up and creating a positive amount of noise for our small numbers, response stewards (orange coats) had been dispatched to GU1 by their supervisors. Instantly all those standing in GU1 were ordered to sit down. Some people obeyed these orders more than others and we were left with a hardcore group of twenty-odd people intend on continuing the enjoyable atmosphere. As we continued to offer our support to the team I felt a hand on my shoulder shacking me and trying to force me into my seat. I instantly turned around to face the perpetrator, which to my surprise was a response steward. He asked me to sit down, I remonstrated with him that seeing as I was in the back row and blocking nobodies view I was not causing a problem. The steward then told me that I was on my second warning to sit down and my behaviour would not be tolerated. I was shocked and amazed how I was on my second warning as this was the first conversation and dialogue I'd had with a steward this season, let alone that evening. I offered this opinion to the steward and I was again informed my behaviour would not be tolerated and persistent standing may result in ejection from the stadium.

The group continued in our support for the team and stood to sing songs and at times of excitement. This is where a game of cat and mouse started between us and the stewards. We would stand to sing our encouragement, they would yell “Gentlemen, please sit down!”. We would then sit down and given a few moments start our chanting and standing again. At this point our group began to take objections to our treatment. What made the situation a whole lot harder to understand was that a group of Sheffield United supporters, similar in numbers to ours were persistently standing in the back rows of the south stand. When we explained this observation to a response steward and were informed that actions were being taken to control the situation in the south stand and measures were being taken. We could only see one steward at the back of the south stand and he was clearly not in any such dialogue with the away supporters.

Half time came and I remained in my seat rather than visit the concourse. Upon individuals return to the group comments were made and it was clear that some families were angered by our language. I understand that one family in particular took great exception to our use of language and demanded to be seated elsewhere in the stadium or receive a refund on their match tickets. The language used for the ninety minutes was no different to that heard at football stadiums throughout the UK and any such abuse was not directed at anyone personally. This was purely football speak and banter that is to be fully expected at any such football fixture. At this point it should also be mention that many west stand regulars congratulated members of our group during the interval in creating such an enjoyable atmosphere.

The second half followed very much the same pattern of 100% passion and effort from the Biscuit Boys to back the team. We were again stood over by response stewards and the cat and mouse game restarted and the cycle of standing up, being asked to sit down and then standing up again for a new chant continued. Once again every time we were asked to sit down we pointed out that the Sheffield United fans were standing and no effort was being made to stop them. We then proceeded to protest by means of chanting and pointing out the away fans to the stewards to make out point. But this was ignored.

Towards the end of the game people around us started to leave the match early. As much as they are entitled to come and go as they please a chant started up surmising that if you leave early you are “gay”. Again we were apprehended by stewards asking us to stop this chant as it was homophobic. Fair enough this could be misconstrued as a homophobic reference but it was more a childish, playground dig at others for seemingly deserting the team.

Upon exiting the stadium bowl and entering the concourse our group was met by a group of stewards and the inevitable discussions took place as to our behaviour inside the stadium. Each side put across their views and opinions but this was not the most productive environment for such a dialogue because of the highly charged atmosphere. I would very much like to continue this dialogue in a more suitable environment and will try to initiate such actions.

To sum up the experiment up it is now clear that GU1 was not ideal location and obviously we upset other fans. However this was not our intention. The Biscuit Boys were founded to support the team vocally in an atmosphere everybody can enjoy.[u]
Back to top Go down
Azem

Azem

GU1 Report Empty
PostSubject: Re: GU1 Report   GU1 Report EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 5:16 am

spot on i think dan but i think you missed out the bit about them recording us with a video camera!!

also one more thing i didnt quite understand the last bit are you asking for a meeting with some of the club officals?
Back to top Go down
RoyalshowEd

RoyalshowEd

GU1 Report Empty
PostSubject: Re: GU1 Report   GU1 Report EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 8:51 am

The chant 'If you leave early, you're gay' was subsequently changed, with 'gay' replaced by 'bad'.

Good summary dan. however a mate reminded me that we were singing ' There're all standing, and you don't give a fuck' so i don't think we can defend all the chants we started.
Back to top Go down
Still Standing

Still Standing

GU1 Report Empty
PostSubject: Re: GU1 Report   GU1 Report EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 2:28 pm

I reckon we were very fairly untreated.
Dan's GU1 report covers all the events.
Back to top Go down
Dan

GU1 Report Empty
PostSubject: Re: GU1 Report   GU1 Report EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 3:08 pm

This evening I have finally sent an email to the club and STAR requesting a meeting over the future actions of the Biscuit Boys and have attached a copy of the report for them to comment on.

Email to club:

Dear Sirs,

Following the Biscuit Boy's efforts on Good Friday I thought it would be pertinent to raise a detailed account of the evenings events. It was made clear to myself and other founders of the group after the experiment that both the club and safety stewards had issues with our support that I wish to discuss further with all relevant parties. I have attached my detailed report of the events and would ask that you read it in its entirety before perusing the rest of this email.

Members of the group that I have spoken with have commented on how they enjoyed the atmosphere created but were also very much disappointed at our reception from the club, stewards and fellow supporters. While we recognise that the Upper West stand usually accomodates a more refined and family atmosphere it was not our intention to upset or annoy anybody. However at the time of making our plans GU1 was identified as being an uninhabited location for the majority of the season, so we felt we would not be harming or offending fellow supporters.

Would it be possible to arrange a meeting where by representatives from the Biscuit Boys, the club and safety stewards and STAR can be forthcoming their views and issues. We would very much like to take our group forward and recruit more members during the close season but would prefer to liase with all parties and maintain a good, healthy relationship and understanding.

Please inform me if any such meeting could be scheduled, we will of course be flexible to fit in with others parties busy schedules.

Regards,
Dan Maskell
on behalf of the Biscuit Boys

Final version of report:

The Biscuit Boys' plans were finally realised on the evening of Good Friday with mixed results. The experiment was a success in as such that we got a group of strangers together with one common interest, to support the team for ninety minutes. However the way in which our group was rather unfairly treated by the safety stewards was a real dampener on the evenings events. With hindsight it is also apparent that we upset a number of supporters who enjoy the more relaxed atmosphere of the upper west stand.

I took to my seat in GU1 as the teams entered the field of play for kick-off. I was delighted to see and hear a decent number of Biscuit Boys in attendance clearly intent on making this an evening to remember. As the match started our support was vocal and the more regular west standers seemed to be enjoying the atmosphere we were creating. Within five minutes of us standing up and creating a positive amount of noise for our small numbers, response stewards (orange coats) had been dispatched to GU1 by their supervisors. Instantly all those standing in GU1 were ordered to sit down. Some people obeyed these orders more than others and we were left with a hardcore group of twenty-odd people intend on continuing the enjoyable atmosphere. As we continued to offer our support to the team I felt a hand on my shoulder shaking me and trying to force me into my seat. I instantly turned around to face the perpetrator, which to my surprise was a response steward. He asked me to sit down, I remonstrated with him that seeing as I was in the back row and blocking nobodies view I was not causing a problem. The steward then told me that I was on my second warning to sit down and my behaviour would not be tolerated. I was shocked and amazed how I was on my second warning as this was the first conversation and dialogue I'd had with a steward this season, let alone that evening. I offered this opinion to the steward and I was again informed my behaviour would not be tolerated and persistent standing may result in ejection from the stadium.

The group continued in our support for the team and stood to sing songs and at times of excitement. This is where a game of cat and mouse started between us and the stewards. We would stand to sing our encouragement, they would yell “Gentlemen, please sit down!”. We would then sit down and given a few moments start our chanting and standing again. At this point our group began to take objections to our treatment. What made the situation a whole lot harder to understand was that a group of Sheffield United supporters, similar in numbers to ours were persistently standing in the back rows of the south stand. When we explained this observation to a response steward and were informed that actions were being taken to control the situation in the south stand and measures were being taken. We could only see one steward at the back of the south stand and he was clearly not in any such dialogue with the away supporters.

Half time came and I remained in my seat rather than visit the concourse. Upon individuals return to the group comments were made and it was clear that some families were angered by our language. I understand that one family in particular took great exception to our use of language and demanded to be seated elsewhere in the stadium or receive a refund on their match tickets. The language used for the ninety minutes was no different to that heard at football stadiums throughout the UK and any such abuse was not directed at anyone personally. This was purely football speak and banter that is to be fully expected at any such football fixture. At this point it should also be mention that many west stand regulars congratulated members of our group during the interval in creating such an enjoyable atmosphere.

The second half followed very much the same pattern of 100% passion and effort from the Biscuit Boys to back the team. We were again stood over by response stewards and the cat and mouse game restarted and the cycle of standing up, being asked to sit down and then standing up again for a new chant continued. Once again every time we were asked to sit down we pointed out that the Sheffield United fans were standing and no effort was being made to stop them. We then proceeded to protest by means of chanting and pointing out the away fans to the stewards to make out point. But this was ignored.

During the second half we noticed that we were being filmed from the South Stand by a video camera operated by a safety steward. As we felt we were causing no harm and enjoying the atmosphere we began waving to the camera. Instantly the stewards watching our every move in GU1 instructed us to stop gesturing to the camera. At no point were we either advised or warned that we were to be filmed, does this not contravene our human rights?

Towards the end of the game people around us started to leave the match early. As much as they are entitled to come and go as they please a chant started up surmising that if you leave early you are “gay”. Again we were apprehended by stewards asking us to stop this chant as it was homophobic. Fair enough this could be misconstrued as a homophobic reference but it was more a childish, playground dig at others for seemingly deserting the team.

Upon exiting the stadium bowl and entering the concourse our group was met by a group of stewards and the inevitable discussions took place as to our behaviour inside the stadium. Each side put across their views and opinions but this was not the most productive environment for such a dialogue because of the highly charged atmosphere. I would very much like to continue this dialogue in a more suitable environment and will try to initiate such actions.

To sum up the experiment up it is now clear that GU1 was not ideal location and obviously we upset other fans. However this was not our intention. The Biscuit Boys were founded to support the team vocally in an atmosphere everybody can enjoy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully we will get a response from both parties and be able to organise a meeting to discuss what went on and our future. I will as always keep this tread updated with responses.
Back to top Go down
Azem

Azem

GU1 Report Empty
PostSubject: Re: GU1 Report   GU1 Report EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 3:30 pm

Once again Dan spot on hopefully we can have a meeting with the club officals and take this much further keep me updated...
Back to top Go down
Dan

GU1 Report Empty
PostSubject: Re: GU1 Report   GU1 Report EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 11:53 am

Today I have received a fairly rapid reply from both STAR and the club. Both show encouraging signs that they are prepared to meet us and take the discussions further. See below for both replies.

Paula from STAR wrote:
Thanks Dan,

I am happy to arrange a meeting, especially as the treatment you received does not tally with the conversation I had with a senior steward that day before the game about how they intended to steward the area. It will be interesting to know where the decision to enforce the 'no standing' rule came from.

I have a meeting pencilled in with the club for next Monday before the coach leaves for the Norwich game on another subject, so will raise it there and see if we can organise something. Can you make it during the day or would it need to be 'out of hours'? If the latter it may make sense to see if we can do something on the day of the Birmingham game - possibly an hour or so after the game ends as I assume before the game would have to be several hours before to avoid conflict with their matchday duties.

Paula
STAR

Paul from RFC customer services wrote:
Dear Dan,

Thank you for your email. I have read your report with great interest. I am certainly happy to meet you along with representatives from the Biscuit Boys, the club, safety stewards and STAR. However I hope you can appreciate how busy we are going to be over the next few weeks with the arrangements with the likelihood of the playoffs and potentially the Play off final.

Therefore I hope you can be patient and contact myself once the season has finished and we can then arrange a meeting during pre-season.

I hope to speak with you soon.

Kind Regards,
Paul Collins
Customer Service Supervisor
Reading Football Club

I can understand Paul's request to delay any such meeting until after the season. Therefore I will reply to both the club and STAR and leave it in Paula from STAR's hands to arrange a meeting date. Is this OK with everyone?
Back to top Go down
Azem

Azem

GU1 Report Empty
PostSubject: Re: GU1 Report   GU1 Report EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 11:59 am

perfect with me!!!!
Back to top Go down
Dan

GU1 Report Empty
PostSubject: Re: GU1 Report   GU1 Report EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 2:35 pm

I have replied to both emails and left it in the hands of STAR to arrange a meeting with the club. Obviously the club will be extremely busy with the playoffs so this may go a bit quiet until they feel they can give us the time and attention we deserve. It appears that both the club and STAR are taking our issues seriously which is a great starting point.

I will keep you all updated.
Back to top Go down
Still Standing

Still Standing

GU1 Report Empty
PostSubject: Re: GU1 Report   GU1 Report EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 3:23 pm

Paul is just using the play
-off's as excuse for avoiding
you. Or I've read to much into it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GU1 Report Empty